So Long Rachel; Hello John and Petra

So Long Rachel; Hello John and Petra

Postby mozzer on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi everyone.

We meant to announce this soon, though I realize that the folks at KRS kind of let the proverbial cat out of the bag.

We're very sad to announce that Rachel Blumberg has decided, after much deliberation, to leave the group. We're going to to miss her tons, but we all collectively feel it's for the best.

Since joining the group, Rachel has always made it clear that Norfolk and Western, the band she shares with her sweetheart, Adam Selzer, has been her priority. Unfortunately, our increasingly hectic schedule has never really made this a possibility. Her decision to leave was a very difficult one to make, but we all support her wholeheartedly.

In happier news, we've taken the opportunity to shake up the ranks a bit and are pleased to welcome two new members to the Decemberist family, John Moen and Petra Haden. John's a bit of a cornerstone of the Portland rock community and is a member of Steve Malkmus' Jicks as well as his own band the Maroons; Petra was a founding member of That Dog and has played with tons of folks including the Rentals, Beck, and Cibo Matto. They're both incredibly sweet people and we're really pleased to have them on board.

So anyway, just wanted to write a little note to let you all know what was happening. Norfolk will be heading on the road this spring with M. Ward as both his opening and backing band, a show which everyone should go see.

Best,

Colin.
mozzer
Decemberist
Decemberist

Postby BPrend on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:46 pm

sad to see rachel go. i am a big fan of petra haden though, so she should be a great addition.
BPrend
Mariner
Mariner

Postby sweet_clementine on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:46 pm

:(

bye rachel. good luck.
sweet_clementine
Cutout
Cutout

Postby Squall91 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:58 pm

Aww...that sucks.

Oh well, I hope the two new members fit right in.
Squall91
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby EvilTwin on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:10 pm

:(

Oh well. Maybe someday they'll tour together and she can sit in for old times' sake. For now, best of luck to both Rachel and the new members.
EvilTwin
Mariner
Mariner

Postby jmg03 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:18 pm

Well, I guess there's nothing to say other than good luck, Rachel! and welcome to the band, John and Petra!

Two more reasons to see one of the spring tour dates. (As if we needed an excuse!)
jmg03
Cutout
Cutout

Postby BPrend on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:27 pm

if i remember correctly, at sxsw last year, the decemberists were headlining the showcase that petra played on with the rest of the haden triplets and also with miss murgatroid, so this might have been where they first were introduced to each other. i don't remember for sure as it was 21+. i did however see the haden triplets and petra w/ miss murgatroid in the same place i saw the decemberists during the free day shows. petra has a wonderful voice (the haden triplets probably have my favorite female voices). i'm guessing she'll be playing violin and maybe some other instruments.
BPrend
Mariner
Mariner

Postby anastasia on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:30 pm

Sad to see her go, glad to see them come. Lose some, you get some, I guess! I'm excited. Change is exciting.
anastasia
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby lucifer on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:47 pm

aw, I'm sad to see Rachel leave! Good luck on your journeys, and welcome, John and Petra! Playing with Cibo Matto must've been quite something.
lucifer
Mariner
Mariner

Postby benji55545 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:51 pm

petra haden! awesome. nice recruiting, young man.

benji
benji55545

Postby chelsea on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:59 pm

aw, i'm happy and sad all at the same time.
is it too late to tell you that i don't mind?
chelsea
Cutout
Cutout

Postby sprock on Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:26 pm

NOooooooooooooooo...this is sad news. Very sad news, I really really liked Rachel a lot, but hopefully the new members will add something good to the group.
sprock
Mariner
Mariner

Postby Evil Adam on Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:53 pm

And now an interpretation of me reading this thread:

"rachel blah blah norfolk and western blah blah (they're a couple? didn't know that) malkmus=pavement blah blah PETRA HADEN WHAT THE..."

As thin a connection that is to Weezer, that makes the Decemberists even more cool.
"We live in a world where good men are murdered and mediocre hacks thrive."
Evil Adam
Cutout
Cutout

Postby habit on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:44 am

good luck rachel!
habit
Picaroon
Picaroon

Postby greeeenwithenv on Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:45 am

Wow. This is going to take a while to sink in. :cry: It's hard to imagine The Decemberists without Rachel. I do look forward to a violin player in the live shows, though.

Christopher (Cpl. Bradley) was really onto something, wasn't he?
<::: fan :::>
greeeenwithenv
Picaroon
Picaroon

Postby BeBe on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:14 am

Indeed he was.

It is sad to see her go, but i'm sure that John and Petra will be awesome and I look forward to seeing them. I wish Rachel all the best of luck.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)
BeBe
Cutout
Cutout

Postby YaRuskaya7 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:18 am

I'm so sad. Bye Rachel, good luck with Norfolk and Western. So, who's gonna be singing Rachel's part in The Chimbley Sweep and The Tain?
YaRuskaya7
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby chooch on Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:28 am

this is rather upsetting.. the widow from the chimbley sweep will never be quite the same :( but! this is rather exciting aswell. i'm interested to see how these rookie decemberists settle down..
chooch
Cutout
Cutout

Postby Cpl. Bradley on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:00 am

change is good

it's very very cool--Rachel gets to pursue her art, her dream, and do it all with her number 1 love. can life get any better than that for her? all the best, cheers!

john and petra will be cool. i am super curious to see what it does to the arrangements. but rachel was/will be on the new album, right? since it was recordeed last summer?

soon it'll be like Belle & Sebastian--they'll bring along horn players, and cellists and even someone to do handclaps and tambourines. they just need to add someone with the smoldering beauty of Isobel. not that colin isn't cute as a button! :P just ask all the girls at the livejournal fansites!
Cpl. Bradley
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby Chimbley Sweep on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:28 am

Saddening at first, but I think/hope the band will ultimately grow stronger. Great additions, at any rate.
everything all of the time
Chimbley Sweep
Castaway
Castaway

that dog!

Postby whatatotaldrag on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:30 am

i've officially been in love with petra haden since i discovered that dog years and years ago. holy smokes, its like the convergence of all of my favorite things! which makes me overwhelmingly happy.
whatatotaldrag
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby Shefik on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:38 am

Mozzer,

You have made one of the best decisions of your entire life.

Don't let anyone question it: having PETRA HADEN in your band is the BEST DECISION YOU HAVE EVER MADE, EVER. Remember that one time, when you decided to learn guitar? That pales in comparison to the overwhelming ennui and synergy that is going to overtake your merry band.

You have made me a happy man, this day.

Cheers,
Shawn
(insert Decembers lyrics here)
Shefik
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby Evil Adam on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:04 am

Shefik wrote:Mozzer,

You have made one of the best decisions of your entire life.

Don't let anyone question it: having PETRA HADEN in your band is the BEST DECISION YOU HAVE EVER MADE, EVER. Remember that one time, when you decided to learn guitar? That pales in comparison to the overwhelming ennui and synergy that is going to overtake your merry band.

You have made me a happy man, this day.

Cheers,
Shawn

Overwhelming boredom will take over the band? That doesn't sound too good.

"We live in a world where good men are murdered and mediocre hacks thrive."
Evil Adam
Cutout
Cutout

Postby Shefik on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:08 am

I apologize. I used a big word because I wanted to impress C. Meloy. I have failed at this task.

Could you replace "ennui" in the above post with "100% super mega happy fun time awesome"? Thanks.
Shefik
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby Layna on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:22 am

Rachel will be missed - but add me to the list of those with crushes upon Ms. Haden.
Layna
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby see_more_glass on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:38 pm

I am majorly bummed to hear that Rachel is leaving. She has always been a sweetheart and a great drum player/singer. I will miss her badly.

Okay I sound ignorant but what instrument does this Petra Haden play? Violin?
there are powerlines in our bloodlines
see_more_glass
Picaroon
Picaroon

Postby BPrend on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:39 pm

yes, she plays the violin.
BPrend
Mariner
Mariner

Postby see_more_glass on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:40 pm

weird...i've never envisioned the Dec's with a full-on strings player. and such a bolstering line-up! I wonder how much different the live shows will be.

and i suppose this petra lass will be taking over rachel's vocal duties? or will jenny?
there are powerlines in our bloodlines
see_more_glass
Picaroon
Picaroon

Postby the thing upstairs on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:49 pm

Oh well.. :( Best of luck to rachel with her other group. Hopefully the two new additions fit in well.
the thing upstairs
Picaroon
Picaroon

Postby twelve_strings on Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:26 pm

Petra Haden!!!!!1111oneoneeleven.

that's the coolest thing ever.

i'm obnoxiously excited.
twelve_strings
Cutout
Cutout

Postby cadet on Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:38 pm

Aw, so long Rachel. Good luck!
cadet
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby Amanda on Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:13 pm

I am quite sad to see Rachel go. Her back up vocals were very original and I'm a little sad to see that band's sound change a bit. I do admit that the new additions sound inticing, and overall, I think that this will be a great move in the long run, but still...I am very sad to see her go. Thanks for the drumstick, Rachel and good luck!

-Forever an avid fan of your funky pirate band-

:roll:
Amanda

Postby Camilo on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:33 pm

bye rachel :(

hi new people 8)
Camilo
Cutout
Cutout

Postby chelsea on Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:24 am

i have one of rachel's drumstick's too!
is it too late to tell you that i don't mind?
chelsea
Cutout
Cutout

Postby Kepasaurous on Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:42 pm

Aww, I also am sad to see Rachel go, but excited to see what the new additions will bring to the band. Good luck to Rachel, and welcome to Petra and John!
Kepasaurous
Castaway
Castaway

sdfg

Postby That Kid on Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:32 am

That's really bittersweet news.

However, I do look forward to hearing the band with the addition of John and Petra.
That Kid
Picaroon
Picaroon

Postby kid_b on Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:44 pm

nice avatar kid
kid_b

Postby ludwig_van on Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:51 pm

From pitchfork today:

Also on board this time out is Petra Haden, famed indie rock siren, who will sing and play violin, as she did on Picaresque.

Was that a mistake, or is Petra on Picaresque? In addition to, or in place of, Rachel?

~Steve
ludwig_van
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby BPrend on Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:31 pm

they both played on picaresque. the news page confirmed that petra played on the album. colin also said that rachel did a tap dance during the recording of the bandit queen, so she should be on it as well.
BPrend
Mariner
Mariner

Postby jmg03 on Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:33 pm

ludwig_van wrote:Was that a mistake, or is Petra on Picaresque? In addition to, or in place of, Rachel?

This photo from the recording of Picaresque should answer that question. Notice the title of that page is "Petra, Strings of Champions."
jmg03
Cutout
Cutout

Postby jon on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:47 pm

BPrend wrote:they both played on picaresque. the news page confirmed that petra played on the album. colin also said that rachel did a tap dance during the recording of the bandit queen, so she should be on it as well.

I thought that version didn't make it onto the album, or indeed any version of the bandit queen song. Unless I am totally misremembering/misinterpreting what CM told us on Sunday night. Which is possible.
I OFTEN BURN WHITE HOT AND DRIFT LAZILY ACROSS THE STRATOSPHERE, EMITTING PIERCING SCREAMS JUST LIKE THE REAL SUN
jon
Mariner
Mariner

Postby mooseking on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:57 pm

Yeah -- from his comments at today's show, the removal of the song from the final cut of the album was the direct result of the difficulty of getting a good tap-dancing solo committed to tape.

From what I am led to believe -- and I may be wrong here -- Rachel Blumberg is indeed on drums (I don't know whether or not John Moen also appears on the album, but his absence from those photos, as well as Rachel's presence, suggests he joined the band after the recording session); Petra "Not a Drummer" Haden plays the violin. As for backup vocals, well, either or both of them could presumably be involved.
mooseking
Cutout
Cutout

Postby BPrend on Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:08 am

jon wrote:
BPrend wrote:they both played on picaresque. the news page confirmed that petra played on the album. colin also said that rachel did a tap dance during the recording of the bandit queen, so she should be on it as well.

I thought that version didn't make it onto the album, or indeed any version of the bandit queen song. Unless I am totally misremembering/misinterpreting what CM told us on Sunday night. Which is possible.

it didn't make the album. it just shows that rachel was there during the recording sessions.
BPrend
Mariner
Mariner

Postby lisa on Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:58 am

much love and luck to all of you.
xoxoxoxoxoxooxoxox
lisa
lisa
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby DaveyD on Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:39 am

BPrend wrote:
jon wrote:

it didn't make the album. it just shows that rachel was there during the recording sessions.

Rachel did the drumming on the new album.

-a qualified source
DaveyD
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby le mot perdu on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:56 pm

BPrend, i was at the sxsw show with the haden triplets and the decemberists and i wondered also upon hearing this news if that's where they met. anyway, petra haden is great and i'm glad she's going to be a part of the band, if rachel had to go.

good luck to rachel! and i'll definitely try to get out to a norfolk and western show
le mot perdu
Cutout
Cutout

Postby jeanna on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:45 pm

Shefik wrote:I apologize. I used a big word because I wanted to impress C. Meloy. I have failed at this task.

Could you replace "ennui" in the above post with "100% super mega happy fun time awesome"? Thanks.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Ennui isn't a big word! It's only 5 letters long. FRENCH PEOPLE ARE CRAZY.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

pineapple wrote:1. microwave for 10 seconds
2. lick
3. ????
4. PROFIT!
jeanna
Mariner
Mariner

Postby Shefik on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:05 am

You make me want to cry a little bit, into my eyes.

CRYING RIGHT INTO MY EYES
Shefik
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby jeanna on Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:46 am

OMGGGGGGG NOT THE DREADED EYE CRYING!!!!!!!

That's the worst, man. It's like...eating babies or something. I absolutely ennui eating babies! LOLOLOLOLOLLOOLOLOLOLOLLOf9 sr0yes8rt98bxoi
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

pineapple wrote:1. microwave for 10 seconds
2. lick
3. ????
4. PROFIT!
jeanna
Mariner
Mariner

Postby Halcyon on Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:11 pm

I agree, having a Haden in your band is by far the best decision one could ever make. Petra has such a pretty voice.
Halcyon

Next

Return to Announcements