Willy Mason Cancellation; Welcoming Rebecca Gates

Willy Mason Cancellation; Welcoming Rebecca Gates

Postby mozzer on Tue May 03, 2005 3:40 pm

Sadly, because of ill-health, Willy Mason has been forced to cancel as opener for the second leg of the tour. We dearly hope that he gets better soon. In his place, we are very pleased to welcome Rebecca Gates, erstwhile Portlander and the brains behind the Spinanes, who will be providing the evenings' opening entertainments in the upcoming shows.
mozzer
Decemberist
Decemberist

Postby Radio Free Eurasia on Sat May 07, 2005 12:27 pm

No offense, but Rebecca Gates was of the worst acts I've ever witnessed.
"Careful reading comprehension is crucial to an online forum discussion"
Radio Free Eurasia
Mariner
Mariner

Postby AllSussedOut on Sat May 07, 2005 4:07 pm

I would yell at you, but... sadly, I agree entirely. My wife and I were ready to enjoy, I'd listened to her (Spinanes and solo) before and enjoyed her work, but... just an empty presence in what might have been too large a club for her. I know she used to rock out; why not now?

Anything?

Lots of self-loathing in this post, I'd prefer not to be so negative, believe me, but... there was just very little stage presence and too few hooks for an opening act who first got onstage at 10:15 or so. Some of us needed a bit of a wake-up, leading up to the main act, and unfortunately...

Sigh. I'll stop. I hate myself for speaking this way, and for failing to be appreciative.

:(
AllSussedOut
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby Samantha on Sat May 07, 2005 7:22 pm

It's true, she was definitely not very entertaining, nor enjoyable. :?
Samantha
Mariner
Mariner

Postby Engine Driver on Sun May 08, 2005 4:42 am

Yeah it was pretty bad in D.C. too. Everyone was quiet for the first song. Then they realized she was playing the same song over and over, just with different lyrics, and everybody just slowly started talking to each other. It was getting sorta loud in there by the end of her set. In fact at one point she made a point of saying, "You guys realize I can see you?" Part of me felt bad, but it still didn't stop me from asking for more cow bell.
Engine Driver

Postby ludwig_van on Sun May 08, 2005 10:06 am

Engine Driver wrote:Then they realized she was playing the same song over and over, just with different lyrics

Haha... that sounds like an apt description. I sat down and stopped listening after the second song.

~Steve
ludwig_van
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby Radio Free Eurasia on Sun May 08, 2005 10:24 am

Arg, you should be able to realize when no one likes you.

Also, there was something worse than her songs, and it was her between song banter. "Hey. <pause> Um. Do you guys vote?" "So you know when you're in love? And. <long pause> This is a song. So when you can't sleep. I'll just play it."
"Careful reading comprehension is crucial to an online forum discussion"
Radio Free Eurasia
Mariner
Mariner

Postby blake on Sun May 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Ghetto. I was hoping to see Willy Mason. Actually, I would have rathered seeing Okkervil River again, but they left the tour before the New Orleans show. sigh
blake

Postby alucier on Fri May 20, 2005 9:49 pm

Engine Driver wrote:Yeah it was pretty bad in D.C. too. Everyone was quiet for the first song. Then they realized she was playing the same song over and over, just with different lyrics, and everybody just slowly started talking to each other. It was getting sorta loud in there by the end of her set. In fact at one point she made a point of saying, "You guys realize I can see you?" Part of me felt bad, but it still didn't stop me from asking for more cow bell.

I was at that show too...and I was already exhausted from not getting enough sleep and just standing in that crowd in the heat with her playing..I almost fell asleep on the guy in front of me. Not that she wouldn't sound good, say, if you were listening to her CD and were in a mellow kind of mood. I just rarely go to see very mellow bands because there just is no energy and it's just not a good time...
alucier

Postby GalacticLovers on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:12 am

I did not enjoy her...I could barely sit through it. Although I wasn't rude to her like a lot of people in the audience
Everything was beautiful
And nothing hurt
GalacticLovers
Castaway
Castaway

Postby h4ck on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:19 am

thats a real bummer, willy mason is pretty fun. i saw him open for death cab for cutie and ben kweller on april 8th(?) in philly and 12th(?) in nyc of....2004(?) and he was great. too bad he wasn't there.

(and yes, im aware im responding to a post from october!)
line of decemberists' lyrics
h4ck
Brigadier
Brigadier

Return to Announcements