thanks

thanks

Postby mozzer on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:47 am

Hey /Orate-ers.

/oratiers?
/orateers?

Now that we've reached the end of the Hazards of Love tour, I wanted to write a note of thanks to everyone for coming out to the shows and being awesome folks and being so generous with your support for this weird record/weird show we put together. It was really fantastic getting a chance to meet some of you (always recognizable in those lovely green shirts) and, as I've said before, gaining further proof that you're collectively some of the raddest supporters a band could possibly hope for.

'Til next we meet

colin.
mozzer
Decemberist
Decemberist

Re: thanks

Postby Dr-Zonk on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Seeing you guys for the first time in liddle 'ole London was one of the greatest moments of my life.
I can't thank you guys enough.
Your music has had a great effect on my life.

Thanx

The Doctor
'Impossible is Nothing'
Dr-Zonk
Mariner
Mariner

Postby gem1001 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:06 pm

Well, thank you for putting out your weird and wonderful show and record. Was a pleasure to see it live in London last week. I have been waiting to see you all since 2004 and finally made it; you didn't disappoint
gem1001
Cutout
Cutout

Postby StevenLeland on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:36 pm

You're welcome.
StevenLeland
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby SeatbeltStalker on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Well, you happen to collectively be one of the raddest bands a music fan could possibly hope for. I'm still all smiles from the show on Saturday, seeing HOL was like seeing you for the first time altogether and I'm so glad I could go to the Netherlands for that, it couldn't have been possible without the board, though. Hope it won't be long 'til we see each other again, you can count on me for sure.
(Anna)
SeatbeltStalker
Bagman
Bagman

Postby emmacoleman on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:31 pm

Thank you for bringing your show to us! Both the shows in London last week were amazing, and I hope you know you're welcome here any time, because your shows are always like a goddamn party, so full of good people and a darn good time. It was a huge pleasure meeting you, and I only wish I'd been eloquent enough to thank you and the band for the music, the experience, and everything. I feel proud to be a Decemberists fan.

Hope to see you again before long,
Emma (a London green-shirt)
emmacoleman
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby emmacoleman on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Afterthought: is a green-shirt like a Star Trek redshirt? Are we doomed?
emmacoleman
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby stygian on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:51 pm

It was fantastic seeing you guys in good Ol' London! Thank you for putting up with our not so wonderful weather and I hope you'll return here soon! You'd definitely be welcome.
stygian
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby nathanieletc on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 pm

emmacoleman wrote:Afterthought: is a green-shirt like a Star Trek redshirt? Are we doomed?

I think we're the exact opposite of doomed (as green is the exact opposite of red)! But I do think we have a sweet new nickname for /orators!
Your name is Clown Melody?

After Gandolf left, the five of them rode their brooms, travelling with the wind. Trees and cars along the roads below receded. Only when they encountered the occasional passenger jet, the pilot and passengers would cry out, "Hey! Flying people!", or "Hey! Aliens!" sourceavatar source
nathanieletc
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby shazkitten on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks for a wonderful tour, Colin! Did Jenny ever give you your /orate shirt, or is she still hoarding them?

and as for the spelling, I use /orater.
I feel "/orator" sounds too generic. "/orater" is like a miner vs. a minor. Or something. It doesn't really make sense once I type it out, but it makes sense in my head.
verence wrote:I'm making some tortillas with barbecue sauce on them in the toaster... would you like some?
shazkitten
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby zornog on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:26 pm

but ... but ... orators is how the word is spelled!

thanks for being an awesome band and an awesome group of people!

looking forward to a fun time at two beers new years :D
zornog
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby DanV on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Thank you and your comrades, Mr. Mozzer. You have put together one of the best shows I've seen in half-century of living, and I look forward to a decade or so from now, when I can smile and say to whoever I'm talking about music with ... "I got to see Hazards of Love performed live, start-to-finish". I will never forget this experience, thanks again for bringing it to us.
"Take a long drown with me
on California wine, California wine ...
DanV
Cutout
Cutout

Postby cassieness on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:53 pm

Thank YOU, for coming to Minneapolis... twice! It made my life. You guys are amazing, as was this weird record, and I wish you guys luck with future music.
"Men fear witches because they take their power from the earth without poisoning the soil."
cassieness
Mariner
Mariner

Postby darlomunday on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Wow! The end of HOL. I saw both gigs in London, but didn't realise you wouldn't be doing it in Australia. That makes the whole occasion seem even more important and impressive somehow. Come back to England soon, i.e. not in two years' time.
darlomunday

Postby MonkeydogPOZ on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Well thank you Colin. I'm so glad I got to see you three times this tour. Even if it was silly of me to go see you at Treasure Island and then UCLA, but I may be one of the few people who've already gotten to see the visualized Hazards of Live twice. So I'm special. Kind of.

It was an amazing show, seeing Hazards live. I'm actually pretty sad that there may be no possibility of ever seeing it again. I'm going to miss the Diamonds, but I certainly can't wait to see the band live again! And I am very grateful for meeting you twice and all the other band members after the show. (even Tucker! although I have yet to meet John)

You guys make my life a little bit more awesome every time you guys do anything.
MonkeydogPOZ
Mariner
Mariner

Postby darlomunday on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Was the green shirt the tree one? I prefered the skull and crown...sorry
darlomunday

Postby Jombles on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:19 pm

I saw the Decemberists 8 times (in 8 states!) this tour, and I have so, so many amazing memories from each show. Thank you for being so awesome!
Manybas wrote:+ I live next door to the Godfather of Soup
Jombles
Mariner
Mariner

Postby Jombles on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:21 pm

darlomunday wrote:Was the green shirt the tree one? I prefered the skull and crown...sorry

Nope...Colin's talking about our "offical" /orate shirt! Here's a group of /orate people with Shara in NYC:

EDIT: I just realized that these have trees on them as well...but I'm assuming you're talking about the dark green HOL tour shirts
Manybas wrote:+ I live next door to the Godfather of Soup
Jombles
Mariner
Mariner

Postby darlomunday on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Oh my God. That's some kind of weird cult thing going on. I'm scared.
darlomunday

Postby shazkitten on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Jombles wrote:I saw the Decemberists 8 times (in 8 states!) this tour, and I have so, so many amazing memories from each show. Thank you for being so awesome!

8 times for me too, I think. But only in 3 states (WA, OR, NY). No wait, maybe 7. I lost count.
darlomunday wrote:Was the green shirt the tree one? I prefered the skull and crown...sorry

He's talking about the shirts that toeinthetide designed and I printed for the /orate group.

edit: lisa just posted a pic. Oh well.
Not a cult... ouch. Just a large group of friends having fun at a show. :|
verence wrote:I'm making some tortillas with barbecue sauce on them in the toaster... would you like some?
shazkitten
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby zornog on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:00 pm

i dunno, it is kind of cultish. we wear uniforms that show our solidarity towards a common cause, which is a message board for a band we all really like.

but it sure is a hell of a lot better than scientology!

(although missy has tried to get thetans out of my body before. don't ask.)
zornog
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby Pale Eyes on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Awesome tour, you guys. It was epic and will go down in /orate history. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Verence wrote:I punched her in the heart.

But there was a good reason!

THERE WAS A MOSQUITO ON HER HEART. I WAS TRYING TO KILL IT.
Pale Eyes
Mariner
Mariner

Postby cassieness on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 pm

You could probably call us a cult... we're an awesome cult.

a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
"Men fear witches because they take their power from the earth without poisoning the soil."
cassieness
Mariner
Mariner

Postby Stoutwoman on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:55 pm

From the first few notes ... Hazards was like falling in love. Thank you.
My aunt likes to say she is an Episcopalian by emotion, a Greek by nature and a Buddhist by choice. -- Walker Percy, The Moviegoer.
Stoutwoman
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby Summersong on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Thank you, Decemberists, for being awesome on all accounts. Both of the shows I attended were absolutely amazing, and Hazards did not disappoint my ridiculously high expectations.
Summersong
Bagman
Bagman

Postby PicaresqueGamine on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:13 pm

I've seen the Decemberists four times and each time was as amazing as the next. The Hazards show at the Welmont was one of the best nights of my life. Thank YOU all for being fantastic musicians and performers. What would I do without you?

ps. Does Funk still have that white fawn I painted? He put it on an amp during the 2nd set.
"Lighthouses may look romantic, but they're all haunted."
PicaresqueGamine
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Postby toeinthetide on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Aw, you are very welcome. I must say, it has been an honor and a joy to be a part of this fan community and to be able to see the band 3 times this year and meet (almost) everybody. Also thanks Colin and everyone for complimenting the shirts (and for signing mine and Missy's). You don't know how happy that has made this little "artist" feel.
toeinthetide
Engine Driver
Engine Driver

Postby madification on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 pm

You're welcome! And thanks for being such a unique and amazing band and group of people. I feel so fortunate to have attended Hazards twice. It truly is an incredible album, made one thousand times better by the live performance. Can't wait to hear the other "barn music" and/or "miner strike music" you have in store for us! :) :)
I will agree there isn't absolutely nothing, nothing more than me dreamin' dream dream dream
madification
Bagman
Bagman

Postby Great Gig on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:36 am

Well you guys coming to London was fantastic and it would be great I you could do more shows next time round? I only discovered you since The Crane Wife and HoL harks back to my musical roots, it's an exceptional work, so thanks for taking the time to come over and perform it. I knew I was in for a treat as the guy who introduced me to the band lives in China - he flew to Portland to see you perform Hazards and after seeing the shows I now know why. Those 2 gigs were truly memorable and on the second night I went early to get in line so I could be at the front, I have not done that for over 20 years!!!! Great shows, great fans and the best live act I have ever seen :D

(from a hopefully soon to be Bournemouth green-shirt!)
"If I knew where all the good songs came from, I'd go there more often" - Leonard Cohen
Great Gig
Castaway
Castaway

Postby m-gem on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:04 am

Thank you for such a wonderful album and for the months of long touring to bring it to many fans. I'm very pleased that the last performance was close to me, and while I was wary about it being at Crossing Border, it was an amazing show and I'm sure you gained some new fans. Even my friend who was there (who I met at a Decemberists show in 2006!) fell in love with Hazards in new ways after seeing it live. You guys have a live show like no other. I hope it's not so long before I get to see you play again.
Marie (the one from Portland, the only green-shirt at The Hague show, I believe, but not the only /orator in the crowd)
m-gem
Mariner
Mariner

Postby darlomunday on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:00 am

My apologies to toeinthetide, zornog, shazkitten et al. My "cult" comment stemmed from complete jealousy at not having one of those t-shirts. Want one!
darlomunday

Postby calluca on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:25 am

And I'd just like to say, you've ruined the album. It'll never sound as good on my stereo as it did live. Bring out a live CD of the show. Pretty please, k thx xx.
calluca
Castaway
Castaway

Postby rancos on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 am

Fantastic seeing you in London so thank you very much :)
Very good that loads of others saw you in London too, that proves you have some English support and should come back more :) (and go to different parts of England so I don't have a three and a half hour journey to and from the gig)
Sorry for my bad punctuation and incessant rambling :oops:
rancos
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby calluca on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:34 am

But remember, there is more to the UK than England. :wink:
calluca
Castaway
Castaway

Postby undulatingorb on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:25 am

I was lucky enough to see the show 5 times this tour. I'd like to say thank you for playing my request from Indianapolis (I was really glad to see it in Chicago)!
"...tuned to a natural E, happy to be that way. Now that you've found another key, what are you going to play?.."
undulatingorb
Mariner
Mariner

Postby nathanieletc on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:12 pm

darlomunday wrote:My apologies to toeinthetide, zornog, shazkitten et al. My "cult" comment stemmed from complete jealousy at not having one of those t-shirts. Want one!

Hurry, and I do mean hurry, over to Off Topic for details, as the super-very-last-ever-last-chance chance at getting them is going on right now.

calluca, check out the live recordings thread in this section... plenty of Hazards bootlegs there!

After Gandolf left, the five of them rode their brooms, travelling with the wind. Trees and cars along the roads below receded. Only when they encountered the occasional passenger jet, the pilot and passengers would cry out, "Hey! Flying people!", or "Hey! Aliens!" sourceavatar source
nathanieletc
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby wheat on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Thank you for putting together such an amazing tour. Thank you especially for coming to Orono! It was sort of a funky show, I know, with the seated & silent crowd, but there was at least one person in the audience singing along to "Sunshine." Maine loves you guys. And yes, I do speak for the whole state as I am its queen.
wheat
Castaway
Castaway

Postby ZeroTrinity on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:31 pm

Thank you Decemberists for your amazing music! You guys always put on a great show and I look forward to seeing you next tour!
ZeroTrinity
Cutout
Cutout

Postby toeinthetide on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 pm

darlomunday wrote:My apologies to toeinthetide, zornog, shazkitten et al. My "cult" comment stemmed from complete jealousy at not having one of those t-shirts. Want one!

No offense taken. I am used to being made fun of by friends, family, and strangers alike. Never bothers me. I am happy and our little cult has brought nothing but good times. 8)
toeinthetide
Engine Driver
Engine Driver

Postby savits721 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:19 pm

A live DVD would have been great..I hope you guys taped one night. I'd buy that.
11/1/06, 3/27/07, 3/31/07, 7/15/07, 11/7/08, 6/6/09, 1/24/11, 1/25/11, 1/26/11, 6/15/11, 7/29/11, 7/27/13, 11/1/13, 11/2/13, 11/5/13, 5/24/14, 5/29/14, 5/30/14, 3/21/15, 3/27/15, 3/31/15, 4/1/15, 4/3/15, 4/4/15, 5/27/15, 6/5/15, 7/25/15, 7/25/15, 7/26/15, 7/27/15, 9/23/15, 9/24/15, 9/25/15, 12/31/15, 1/6/17, 4/7/17, 4/14/17, 4/15/17, 4/17/17, 4/18/17, 4/19/17, 8/12/17, 8/13/17

Decemberists.
Colin Meloy.
savits721
Bagman
Bagman

Postby guitarzan on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 pm

What an awesome tour! Thanks for making it happen!
"We look like we should be at a farmers' market, serving scones or something."

~kyle
guitarzan
Mariner
Mariner

Postby theyoungflyer on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:08 pm

I want to add my thanks to the band for the awesome tour ... my husband and I were fortunate to see two shows, Milwaukee and Chicago...and it turned my husband into a fan! We had a fantastic time. :D
theyoungflyer
Cutout
Cutout

Postby tschock on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:38 am

Thanks for the awesome tour! I was lucky enough to catch 3 shows over the last year. Looking forward to what comes next!
tschock
Mariner
Mariner

Postby calluca on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:48 am

nathanieletc wrote:calluca, check out the live recordings thread in this section... plenty of Hazards bootlegs there!

I'm being a muppet, I can't find this section. Help. :?
calluca
Castaway
Castaway

Postby MonkeydogPOZ on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:11 am

calluca wrote:
nathanieletc wrote:calluca, check out the live recordings thread in this section... plenty of Hazards bootlegs there!

I'm being a muppet, I can't find this section. Help. :?

I think Nathanieletc meant to look in the Decemberists Dialouges forums for live recordings. There's a specific topic (just search for it in the search bar) with a collection of recordings. Or look in each topic about a show to see if there is a recording for that show.

Or go look on archive.org.
MonkeydogPOZ
Mariner
Mariner

Postby nathanieletc on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:18 am

Yeah, I meant check in Decemberists Dialogues. For some reason I thought I was already there, even though I accessed this thread (which is cross-posted everywhere I think) from Off Topic.

nathanieletc
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby Glendarian on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:10 am

Just to add my heartfelt thanks - for the music, the shows, the thanks and everything!
And indeed, please come back to the UK soon.
Where can I get a green t-shirt :?:
Glendarian
Chimbley Sweep
Chimbley Sweep

Postby shazkitten on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:11 am

Glendarian wrote:Just to add my heartfelt thanks - for the music, the shows, the thanks and everything!
And indeed, please come back to the UK soon.
Where can I get a green t-shirt :?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13100
If you can get the info into and money to me in the next eight hours, I'll add you into the last batch. But hurry! I'm ordering the last shirts then- ~8 hours from this post!
shazkitten
Crane Wife
Crane Wife

Postby justforthefourth on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 am

It was a bloody pleasure! \o/
justforthefourth
Castaway
Castaway

Postby bluebird on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:00 pm

<3
Even though the show I attended was bitter cold, I can't imagine a better way I could have spent the evening.
bluebird
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Next

Return to Announcements